Terms of Service
A quick introduction
These Terms of Service establish expectations.
These Terms of Service define what you can expect from us as you use our Services and what we expect from you. They reflect our beliefs, the ways our business operates and the laws that apply to our company. They define our relationship with you as you interact with our Services.
By creating a Reel You account or by using Reel You, you agree to these Terms.
Understanding these Terms is important because, by downloading or using any Services, you are specifically agreeing to abide by and use our Services in accordance with these Terms at all times. Please contact us if you have any questions about the Terms of Service.
Terminology used in this policy.
When we say “Reel You,” “we,” “our,” or “us,” we’re referencing Reel You Inc. When we say “Service” or “Services” we are referencing all of our applications, features, software, services, functionality, support and website. When we say “Youser”, “Yousers”, “you”, or “your” we are referring to a user of our Services. These Terms of Service (also referenced as these “Terms”) apply to your use of any or all of our Services.
What you can expect from us
You can expect us to provide our Services.
We agree to provide you with the Reel You Services. The Services include all of the Reel You products, features, applications, services, technologies and software we provide to advance Reel You’s mission: to help everyone capture their story in a way that reflects their real life. Although we give you permission to use our Services, we retain all intellectual property rights we have in the Services.
You can expect us to improve our Services.
We’re constantly developing new technologies and features to improve our Services. As part of this continual improvement, we sometimes add or remove features and functionalities, increase or decrease limits to our Services, and start offering new Services or stop offering old ones. We carefully consider your interests as a Youser, your reasonable expectations and the potential impact on you and others before making changes. We only change or stop offering Services for valid reasons, such as to improve performance or security, to comply with law, to prevent illegal activities or abuse, to reflect technical developments or because a feature or an entire service is no longer popular enough or economical to offer.
You can expect us to listen to your feedback.
We always appreciate your feedback and ideas on how to improve our Services. If you choose to give us voluntary feedback with respect to the Services, such as ideas for brand new functionality or features, or suggestions to modify or improve our existing Services, we may use your feedback in any way we see fit without any restrictions or obligation to you.
You can expect Service-related communications.
To provide you with our Services, we sometimes send you Service announcements and other information.
You can expect us to protect your privacy.
You can expect us to have your back.
Your moments are stored on your device and automatically backed up to our cloud so a memory never goes missing. Reel You automatically backs up 2GB of content per account. This provides a safety net for your moments in the unfortunate event you lose or destroy your device. We reserve the right to increase or decrease this storage amount or discontinue this service at any time. If you exceed 2GB of content, your content may not be backed up by Reel You. We have no obligation to store any of your content that you make available on our Services and no responsibility or liability for the deletion or corruption of content, accuracy of content, or failure to store, transmit or receive transmission of content.
You can expect our permission to use Reel You content.
Some of our Services include content that belongs to Reel You; for example, the visual illustrations you see in Reel You. You may use our content as allowed by these Terms but we retain all intellectual property rights we have in our content. Don’t remove, obscure, or alter any of our branding, logos or legal notices. If you want to use our branding or logos, please contact us.
You can expect our permission to use Reel You software as part of the Services.
Some of our Services include downloadable software. The license we give you is worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, personal and non-assignable. You may not copy, modify, distribute, sell, or lease any part of our Services or software. Also, you may not reverse engineer or attempt to extract any of our source code unless you have our written permission or applicable law lets you do so.
You can expect us to foster a positive and safe environment.
Our Services intend to help you capture all of your moments that matter and reflect the real story of your life. Although every moment in life may not be about a positive experience, we try to provide our Services in a way that promotes a positive and safe environment. Fostering this environment may require us from time-to-time to have a closer look at Youser-generated content. You acknowledge Reel You has the right in its sole discretion, but no obligation, to pre-screen, refuse or remove any content.
You can expect us to take action.
What we expect from you
The permission we give you to use our Services continues as long as you comply with these Terms.
Persons younger than 13 may not use our Services. If you are 13 or older, but under the age of 18, you should review these Terms of Service with your parent or guardian to make sure you and your parent or guardian understand and agree to them.
We expect you to meet additional eligibility requirements.
In order to use our Services, you must not be prohibited from receiving any aspect of our Service under applicable laws and we must not have previously disabled your account for violation of law or any of our policies.
We expect you to provide accurate account information and keep it up to date.
We expect you to provide true, accurate, current and complete account information and maintain and promptly update the information to keep it true, accurate, current and complete.
You may not impersonate someone you are not. You can’t create an account for someone else unless you have their express permission or are an authorized representative of that person. Reel You accounts are intended for individuals and not intended for businesses, non-profits, schools or other organizations.
We expect you to respect others and take responsibility for your interactions.
Our Services allow you to interact with others. We want to maintain a respectful environment for everyone, which means you must follow these basic rules of conduct:
- Comply with applicable laws, including export control, sanctions and human trafficking laws.
- Respect the rights of others, including privacy and intellectual property rights.
- Don’t abuse or harm others or yourself (or threaten or encourage such abuse or harm); for example, by misleading, defrauding, defaming, bullying, harassing or stalking others.
- Don’t abuse, harm, interfere with, or disrupt the Services.
- Don’t attempt to create accounts or collect information in unauthorized ways, including through automated means.
- Don’t attempt to buy, sell or transfer any aspect of your account or another Youser’s account. Don’t solicit, collect, distribute, display or use login credentials of other Yousers.
While using our Services, you may interact with content provided by other Yousers. Reel You is not responsible for and does not control Youser content or conduct. We also aren’t responsible for services or features offered by other people or companies, even if you access them through our Services. We have no obligation to review or monitor, and do not approve, endorse or make any representations or warranties with respect to content. You are solely responsible for your interactions with other Yousers of the Services; however, we reserve the right, but have no obligation, to intercede in disputes. You agree that we will not be responsible for any liability incurred as the result of such interactions. You interact with other Yousers and their content at your own risk.
We do not own your content, but you grant us a license to use it.
Any and all text, photos, pictures, graphics, audio, comments, and other content, data or information that you upload, store, transmit, submit, exchange or make available to or via our Services is generated, owned and controlled solely by you, and not by Reel You. We do not claim ownership of your content that you display, upload or otherwise publish on or through our Services, and you hereby expressly acknowledge and agree that your content remains your sole responsibility. Instead, when you share, display or upload content that is covered by intellectual property rights (like photos or videos) on or in connection with our Service, you hereby grant to us a non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, transferable, sub-licensable, worldwide license to host, use, distribute, modify, run, copy, and display your content. You can end this license anytime by deleting your content or account.
We expect you to take reasonable steps to keep your account secure.
You agree that we can download and install updates to the Service on your device.
Just as you expect us to improve our Services, we expect you to download and install updates to reflect the improvements we’ve made. When a Service requires or includes downloadable software, that software sometimes updates automatically on your device once a new version or feature is available. Some devices let you adjust your automatic update settings.
How does the Reel Impact initiative work?
Reel You is dedicated to making an impact in your community. For each moment you create, we will donate 5¢ USD in your honor to a non-profit you select from the options available in our Services. By selecting a non-profit, Yousers are making a recommendation that their donation fund a certain charity; however, we will maintain full discretion and control over the donations at all times and are not required to fund the Youser’s recommended organization. Reel You has the sole discretion as to whether to ultimately fund the non-profit or not; however, we will take into consideration the donor’s wishes for the funds and will most likely donate to the desired charity. We retain the right to redirect the funds to a different nonprofit cause.
How violations and disputes will be handled
What if you don’t agree to these Terms?
If you don’t agree to these Terms, you should remove your content and stop using the Services. You can also end your relationship with us at any time by deleting your Reel You account.
What if you violate these Terms?
Violation of any provision of these Terms of Service may result in immediate termination of your Reel You account and you may be prohibited from establishing any future account with us. We’ll provide you with advance notice when reasonably possible, describe the reason for our action, and give you an opportunity to fix the problem, unless we reasonably believe that doing so would:
- cause harm or liability to a Youser, third party, or Reel You
- violate the law or a legal enforcement authority’s order
- compromise an investigation
- compromise the operation, integrity, or security of our Services
If you don’t follow these Terms and we don’t take action right away, that doesn’t mean we’re giving up any rights that we may have, such as taking action in the future.
What if someone else violates these Terms?
If you find that others aren’t following these rules, please “Report” the user(s) in question or contact us directly. If we act on a report of abuse, we also provide a fair process prior to taking action as described above. If you believe Reel You has not adhered to these Terms, please contact us and we will do our best to address your concerns.
What if one of the Terms is not valid or enforceable?
If it turns out that a particular Term is not valid or enforceable, this will not affect any other Terms.
We can’t guarantee our Services will work perfectly all the time.
Our Service is provided “as is,” and we can’t guarantee it will be safe and secure or work perfectly all the time. To the extent permitted by law, we also disclaim all warranties, whether express or implied, including the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title, and non-infringement.
What if something happens to the Service?
How will a dispute be handled?
The laws of the State of California govern our Terms, as well as any disputes, whether in court or arbitration, which might arise between you and us, without regard to conflict of law provisions.
- If you are a Youser located outside of the United States or Canada, you agree that you and Reel You will resolve any claim relating to, arising out of, or in any way in connection with our Terms of Service, us, or our Services exclusively in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California or a state court located in Alameda County in California, and you agree to submit to the personal jurisdiction of such courts for the purpose of litigating all such disputes. Without prejudice to the foregoing, you agree that, in our sole discretion, we may elect to resolve any dispute we have with you in any competent court in the country in which you reside that has jurisdiction over the dispute.
- If you are a Youser located in the United States or Canada, you are required to submit to binding individual arbitration of all disputes, except those that involve intellectual property disputes and except those that can be brought in small claims court. This means you are waiving your right to have such disputes resolved in court by a judge or jury. The arbitration will be administered by the American Arbitration Association (AAA) under its Commercial Arbitration Rules in effect at the time the arbitration is started, including the Optional Rules for Emergency Measures of Protection and the Supplementary Procedures for Consumer-Related Disputes (together, the “AAA Rules”). The arbitration will be presided over by a single arbitrator selected in accordance with the AAA Rules. The AAA Rules, information regarding initiating a Dispute, and a description of the arbitration process are available at www.adr.org. The arbitrator will decide whether a dispute can be arbitrated. The location of the arbitration and the allocation of fees and costs for such arbitration shall be determined in accordance with the AAA Rules. Notwithstanding the AAA Rules, we will reimburse you for all the AAA administrative fees in disputes that are subject to the Supplementary Procedures for Consumer-Related Disputes, unless the arbitrator determines that a dispute was filed for purposes of harassment or is patently frivolous. We and you agree that for any dispute we and you must commence an arbitration proceeding within one year after the dispute first arose; otherwise, such dispute is permanently barred and will be dismissed because it was started too late.
- Are there alternatives to arbitration? If permitted by your local “small claims” court’s rules, you may bring your dispute in your local “small claims” court, as long as the matter advances on an individual (non-class) basis. We and you each agree that bringing disputes against the other may only occur on your own behalf, and not on behalf of any other person or entity, or any class of people. We and you each agree not to participate in a class action, a class-wide arbitration, disputes brought in a private attorney general or representative capacity, or consolidated disputes involving any other person or entity in connection with any dispute. If you opt out of the agreement to arbitrate or if the arbitration agreement is found to be unenforceable, you agree to be subject to the same provisions set forth above as a Youser located outside of the United States or Canada.
More about these Terms
What are my rights?
By law, you have certain rights that can’t be limited by a contract like these Terms of Service. These Terms are in no way intended to restrict those rights. These Terms describe the relationship between you and Reel You; they don’t create any legal rights for other people or organizations. You cannot transfer your rights or obligations under this agreement without our consent. Our rights and obligations can be assigned to others; for example, if our ownership changes (as in a merger, acquisition, or sale of assets) or by law.
When do these Terms take effect?
The Terms commence on the date you accept them and remain in full force and effect while you use the Services, unless terminated earlier in accordance with these Terms.
These Terms apply to Services offered by Reel You.
These Terms don’t apply to services offered by other companies or individuals that may include Reel You Services or are linked from our Services.
We change these Terms from time to time.
We always indicate the date the last changes were published and we offer access to archived versions for your review. If changes are significant, we’ll provide a more prominent notice (e.g. email notification of Terms of Service changes).
You can contact us with questions.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Date of Last Revision:
November 12, 2021
Prior version – September 8, 2020
What changed? In the paragraph “You can expect us to provide our Services” we updated the wording of our mission to reflect our preferred phrasing. We also added the Reel Impact section.